What is Achilles tendon pain?
This is a painful condition that occurs when the Achilles tendon, the band of tissue connecting the calf muscles to the heel bone, becomes irritated and inflamed
What causes Achilles tendon pain?
- Overpronation or underpronation (causing stress to the Achilles tendon)
- Repetitive/prolonged calf contraction or stretching strain e.g. hill or stair running
- Recent increase in distance and frequency of running/jogging/walking
- Recent change in loading pattern/running technique e.g. toe running/ forefoot strike pattern
- Change in training terrain
- Inappropriate footwear (e.g. shoes with poor arch support, frequent use of heels)
- Obesity/ weight gain
What symptoms might you experience?
- Pain in the back of the heel or lower calf (usually worse in the morning)
- May or may not have visible swelling
- Stiffness in morning or on inactivity
- Usually feels better after warming up
- Worse on activities like running, jogging and walking