What is Lower back pain and Lumbar strains?
Any acute onset of lower back pain that lasts less than a month. It is often the result of soft tissue injury to the muscles and/or ligaments surrounding the lumbar spine, sacrum & pelvis
What Causes It?
- Direct trauma e.g. falls, sports injury
- Sudden unguarded movement — especially being flexed & rotated while lifting
- Overuse or repetitive microtrauma
- Postural factors
- Muscle imbalance/deconditioning
What symptoms might you experience?
- Pain in the lower back region, which may spread to back of the ribcage, buttock or back of the thighs
- Immediate pain/ pain shortly after injury
- Pain associated with decreased mobility, stiffness & muscle spasm