What is elbow and wrist pain?
Elbow and wrist pain often results from overuse or repetitive arm & hand movements.This can be especially due to work activities, sports, household chores and hobbies incurring repetitive stress to the elbow/wrist.
Moreover, traumatic injury can cause soft tissue damage to the tendons and ligaments surrounding the elbow and wrist joints causing pain
What Causes It?
Elbow pain conditions
- Elbow sprain
- Tennis elbow (i.e. lateral epicondylitis)
- Golfer’s elbow (i.e. medial epicondylitis)
- Olecranon bursitis
Wrist pain conditions
- Wrist sprain
- TFCC injury
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- De Quervain’s tenosynovitis
What symptoms might you experience?
Elbow condition symptoms can include:
- Elbow joint pain particularly with movement, and pain may be dull and achy or sharp in nature
- Swelling and soreness may be felt at the elbow region
- Pain with clenching of fist (golfer’s elbow) or with opening of hand/wrist extension (tennis elbow)
- Weakness with gripping
Wrist condition symptoms can include:
- Wrist pain particularly with movement/loading to the joint and improves with rest
- Swelling and soreness of the wrist evident in traumatic injury
- Weak grip strength associated with pain
- Intermittent pins & needles in the thumb, index & middle fingers with wrist pain below the palm (Carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Pain and paraesthesia worse at night with morning stiffness noted (Carpal tunnel syndrome)
- ‘Squeaking’ sound or sensation during thumb or wrist movements (De Quervain’s)