What is scoliosis?
Scoliosis is a spinal condition in which the spine curves to the side, either in an ‘S’ or ‘C’ shape.Sideway spinal curves of more than 10 degrees by Cobb’s method of X-ray analysis
What causes it?
- Exact cause of scoliosis is not always known
- It may be caused by genetic factors or can occur due to medical conditions like muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy or osteoporosis
- Scoliosis can also be of compensatory (e.g. leg length inequality, anatomical asymmetry) or postural nature (habitual, dominant handedness & muscular imbalance)
What symptoms might you experience?
- Spinal deformity (e.g. uneven shoulders and waists)
- Possibly leg length discrepancy and abnormal walking pattern as a result
- Muscular imbalances due to the asymmetric spinal rotation and side bending
- Musculoskeletal pain commonly low back pain